What Do Criminal Mischief Charges Involve?
Wall New Jersey Criminal Defense Attorneys serving Monmouth County, Ocean County, Middlesex County and all surrounding NJ areas.
Posted: September 23, 2016
Some people have a night or two in their life where things get a bit out of hand. Sometimes those situations can turn into criminal mischief charges and land you with a criminal record and possible jail time. Criminal mischief in New Jersey mostly involves intentional vandalism, trespassing and/or property damage. These charges come with hefty consequences depending on the amount of damage you imposed.
What Constitutes Criminal Mischief?
You may get a criminal mischief charge in New Jersey if:
- You deliberately damaged property belonging to someone else.
- Your negligent or reckless actions caused damage to someone else’s property, which includes fire and explosives.
- You knowingly interfered with another’s property, which put them or the property in danger.
There are varying degrees and penalties for these property crimes in New Jersey including:
- Third Degree Criminal Mischief — You caused $2000 or more in damages to personal or state property including graveyards. Your potential penalty could be 3-5 years in state prison.
- Fourth Degree Criminal Mischief — Your behavior and intentions caused between $500 and $2000 in damages. These charges may also involve removing or tampering with lights, signs and signals of air traffic devices. You could face up to 18 months in prison.
- Disorderly Person Offense — The damage amounts to less than $500. Your penalties may include up to 6 months in jail.
Criminal mischief charges can have a significant impact on your future and may hurt your relationships and career. Our lawyers in Jersey City know how to aggressively fight on your behalf and compile a compelling case to reduce or eliminate your charges.
If you’ve been charged with criminal mischief, please call Clark, Clark & Noonan, LLC in Jersey City today 732-303-7857. Our lawyers serve clients throughout New Jersey including Jersey City, Freehold, Essex, Hudson and Monmouth County.
Category: Theft and Property Crimes
We Can Help 24/7
Free case review. Call 732-303-7857 or send us a message now.