10 Questions You Need to Ask a Divorce Lawyer
Posted: January 25, 2017
Going through a divorce is not usually a quick and easy process. There are aspects to consider on both sides, especially when children or large sums of money are involved. Filing for a divorce is often overwhelming and emotional, but a good divorce lawyer can guide you through the steps to make sure you receive what you’re owed when the dust settles. Therefore, your attorney is one of the most important decisions you make when getting divorced.
There are many questions to keep in mind when you have a consultation with a divorce attorney. We’ve compiled some vital questions you should ask to ensure you’re making the right choice including:
- How long do you think it will take to resolve my divorce?
- Do you have a strategy for my case?
- Will you personally handle my case from start to finish?
- How will I be charged? Is it possible to make my spouse pay for my legal fees?
- Will I be able to reach you in an emergency?
- What will be the tax ramifications when my divorce is settled?
- Can I negotiate directly with my spouse?
- What can I do if my spouse wrongfully takes money before or after the divorce is filed?
- How can I set the grounds for my divorce?
- How do you think a judge would rule based on what you know about my case?
Additionally, if you have children, you may want to ask these questions:
- How much do you think I will have to pay or be able to receive in child support?
- What is the age my children must be to choose which parent they want to live with?
- Can I move the children out of the city or state?
- What are the tax regulations for child support?
If you’re considering filing for divorce, please call our divorce attorneys in New Jersey today at 732-303-7857 to schedule your FREE consultation. The law offices of Clark, Clark & Noonan, LLC serve clients throughout New Jersey including Jersey City, Freehold, Monmouth County, Essex and Hudson.
We Can Help 24/7
Free case review. Call 732-303-7857 or send us a message now.