There are some minor traffic charges where retaining a lawyer can make little difference and where the consequences are minimal. A New Jersey Speeding Ticket is not one of those “minor” traffic offenses.
New Jersey Speeding Ticket Points and Penalties
Speeding is handled in the traffic court where the alleged Speeding violation occurred. The penalties for Speeding can be stiff compared to other New Jersey traffic violations.
If you are convicted of speeding, the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) records points on your license:
- § 39:4-98 – New Jersey Speeding: Exceeding maximum speed 1-14 mph over limit = 2 points
- § 39:4-99 – New Jersey Speeding: Exceeding maximum speed 15-29 mph over limit = 4 points
- § 39:4-99 – New Jersey Speeding: Exceeding maximum speed 30 mph or more over limit = 5 points
Once you reach a certain point total on your New Jersey Drivers License, the MVC will impose Point Surcharges in addition to any court imposed fines and penalties on your traffic ticket.
In addition, the level of your car insurance premiums may increase depending on the number of points you have accumulated on your New Jersey Drivers License.
As if the points were not enough, many New Jersey traffic court Judges will suspend your New Jersey Driver’s License for 30 to 60 days depending on how many miles over the speed limit you were traveling.
You Need an Experienced New Jersey Traffic Lawyer
Our lawyers have represented individuals all over the State of New Jersey who have received a traffic ticket for speeding including town traffic court’s in Monmouth County, Ocean County, Middlesex County and Mercer County.
Defenses to Your Speeding Ticket Do Exist
Our lawyers have the skill and experience to protect your rights and successfully defend you if you have been charged with Speeding. Many times we are able to negotiate with the traffic court and prosecutor to get the results you could not get on your own.
We have successfully resolved Speeding tickets all over the State of New Jersey with results such as:
- Dismissal of the NJ Speeding Ticket;
- Downgrade of a 4 or 5 point Speeding ticket to 2 points or a 0 point offense;
- Amendment to an Unsafe Driving Charge 39:4-97.2 (0 Points);
- Convinced the New Jersey Traffic Court not to suspend a client’s driver’s license.
If you have received a Speeding Ticket, or have been charged with any New Jersey Traffic Violations, contact the defense law firm of Clark & Clark immediately at 732-303-7857 .